Virginia senate committee says no to accident response fee bill. SB 881 would have allowed volunteer fire and emergency services departments responding to emergency automobile accidents. Read more.
A fourth Dayton-area community voted out accident response fees. Sugarcreek Twp. suspends its contract to bill at-fault drivers for accident scene assistance. Read more.
Triple play! Miami Twp. Ohio joins neighboring communities of Springfield and Franklin in canceling/non renewing its accident response fee collections program. Read more.
“Right is right and wrong is wrong…And this was wrong,” said Franklin OH City Manager Sonny Lewis in reaction to the community’s decision to cancel its accident response fee billing contract with a local vendor. Read more.
The Dayton Daily News uncovers accident fee billing company markups of up to 268%! “That’s like taking money out of the citizens’ pocket and putting it into the pocket of the middleman,” says Franklin Twp. Mayor Dennis Centers. Read story
Springfield Ohio ends its contract with accident response fee biller when an investigation finds the company charged drivers twice what was allowed. Read all about it. View the video.
Accident response fees may actually generate more ill will than revenue for local communities. This is just one of the findings in this November 6 Dayton Daily News story.
Ohio resident takes action against accident response fees in Macedonia OH causing a full-blown investigation. End result: City suspends its program! Read all about it in the Akron Beacon Journal series by Phil Trexler and Bob Dyer.
1) Macedonia hires collection agency to charge fees for police, fire crash response (July 17)
2) Macedonia’s money grab is a disgrace (July 18)
3) Legislator considers bill aimed at Macedonia crash tax (July 20)
4) Macedonia to end program billing out-of-town drivers (July 22)
Most Ohio insurers don’t cover accident response fees. That’s because accident response fees aren’t usually part of auto insurance coverage. Our findings help city officials determine fee viability as a revenue stream.
More say no to fees:
• South St. Paul MN officials table initial reading of its crash fee ordinance
• NYC drops its accident fee proposal
• Oceanside joins Sacramento, Roseville and Huntington Beach in repealing accident fee ordinances in CA
• Tulsa OK doesn’t “okay” its accident fee proposal